The drought is the cause of the water scarcity!
It is not us
- The reality is there is a plan to manage water flows in the Murray Darling Basin to ensure the river stays as healthy as possible and that irrigators are also largely satisfied. The plan obviously needs to be constantly reviewed to take into account actual and forecast rainfall and tweaked, relaxed and tightened as needs dictate
- This has clearly not happened.
- Irrigators drained the water from the Menindee Lakes leading to a toxic algae bloom and the massive fish kill.
- The dead fish may stink, but the stench of Coalition Government corruption at both the NSW state and federal levels is even worse. It deserves a Royal Commission.The Murray-Darling Basin is experiencing its seventh-driest year on record, according to the Bureau of Meteorology.
- The Australia Institute said its research has shown that the Lower Darling and Menindee Lakes had been mismanaged by many over a long period of time.
- “Approximately two Sydney Harbours worth of water has been taken out of the region in the last two years,” said research director, Rod Campbell.
- The Murray-Darling Basin Authority shelved its native fish strategy six years ago and ended its sustainable rivers audit program after New South Wales pulled funding.
- Plan called for 50-year commitment to restoring native fish numbers, but was canned after NSW pulled funding
- The Murray Darling Basin Authority shelved its native fish strategy six years ago and ended its sustainable rivers audit program after New South Wales pulled 60% of its funding from a basinwide program to monitor the health of fish in the river.
- For 10 years the MDBA made much of its fish strategy, releasing a glossy brochure that claimed the strategy required a “sustained commitment” of 50 years in order to rehabilitate native fish in the river. It announced a goal of “restoring native fish stocks to 60% of its pre-European levels.”
Barnaby Joyce wrote in the Australian that it was “implausible and mischievous” to blame cotton-growers for fish deaths because cotton-growers such as Cubbie Station had not taken water from the river since 2017. Joyce asserts that there are billions of dollars worth of water in the Commonwealth Water Holder’s accounts,” Mr Joyce told ABC’s Radio National on Tuesday. “If we diverted a section of it, we could start growing the fodder [such as lucerne] that is required to keep the stock alive.” https://www.smh.com.au/environment/sustainability/death-certificate-ex-water-chief-slams-barnaby-joyce-s-drought-plan-20180828-p500an.html